If you are running a small business – say, a mechanic shop, diner, dentistry or hair salon, chances are people are talking about your business on Yelp. Over 30 million customers have written a review of a local business using Yelp and about 78 million folks check out those reviews every month. The site’s popularity is such that a search for a business by name could list it’s Yelp review even before the business’ own website.
Getting a positive (or negative) review on Yelp is not hard, but since a big chunk of Yelp’s 78 million monthly users are accessing reviews directly via their website or app, the challenge is getting your business at the top of Yelp’s search results. Here are five tips for improving your ranking on Yelp –
1. Get more reviews. Unless your business is the only one Continue reading “How to improve your search ranking on Yelp”
Sponsored Stories is a great Facebook ad product – it allows businesses to publicize the fact that someone likes their page to that person’s friends and other Facebook users. And since peer influence is perhaps the most powerful marketing agent, this ad product has been a big hit for advertisers – but not so much for some Facebook users.
A class-action lawsuit was filed against the social network to protect the privacy of users who did not opt to have their “likes” used as marketing. According to the NY Times, Facebook Continue reading “Facebook Sponsored Stories Still Worth Buying”
2010 was a great year for us – we thoroughly enjoyed sharing the many interactive marketing ideas we published on this Website and elsewhere. Many of our articles were based on questions that came from projects and friends, and we certainly hope you keep them coming. Here’s a rundown of our top social media and interactive marketing articles for 2010 (based on visits and pageviews).
- Social Networks: Free R&D for Small Business
- Email vs. Social Media – Should you follow Ben and Jerry’s?
- How Much Time Should Visitors Spend on Your Website?
- Three Steps to Better Open Rates
- When your Company Name is Your Top Keyword
- Best Billboard? Yahoo! Mail Homepage
- Is mobile phone jailbreaking good for business?
- Yahoo! tosses HotJobs to Monster – Search Fail?
- How to become a “trending topic” on Twitter
- Facebook closing Gift Shop – but not for entrepreneurs
We hope you’ll keep coming back for more – follow us on Twitter @suzettegardner, @smmarketingtips, join us on Facebook or get fresh updates via email, the good (almost) ole fashioned way.
What’s next? More great interactive marketing tips and insights – plus an in-depth look at advertising today. Stay tuned!