There is a big difference between the URLs below – even though they take you to the same place on facebook.
The first URL is called a ‘vanity’ URL, because it gives you the opportunity to say something unique about your facebook profile and help to promote your brand in the network if you are managing a page for your business.
Vanity URL’s are great, they are –
- Easy to remember.
- Work better on printed materials than the long-form facebook URLs (see second example above).
- Makes it easy to direct someone to your page or profile.
But there’s a catch – think very carefully before you set one up because you will not be able to edit or transfer your new username/URL once you set it! That said – it’s fairly easy to set up a vanity URL:
- Have a list of 3 possible unique usernames/URLs you’d like to use
- Go to (or click) the following link – http://facebook.com/username, and follow the steps.
- Check to see if any of your unique usernames/URLs are available and if they are – voila! You are ready to be just as vain as the rest of us.
Now go claim your brand name before it’s too late!